02 January 2009

Christmas squatters

After hanging the Christmas wreath at the beginning of December we noticed that a pair of sparrows would occasionally seek shelter there. We were sure that they would eventually grow tired of tucking themselves under the wired ribbon and artificial apples wrapped around the artificial evergreen. Then we left town for a while. We were out of town to visit my family-in-law over the Christmas holiday. While away we hoped that our home would be safe and have no intruders or vandals. When we pulled into the driveway nothing appeared to be disturbed. We entered the house and everything was just as we'd left it. Colder but undisturbed. The two sparrows, however, have taken up permanent residence it seems. Apparently they figured we gave up going in an out the front door. I'm not sure how long they intend to stay but as I was taking down the Christmas decorations today I couldn't just take down the wreath, especially with living birds in it. So the big dilemma is do I take it down tomorrow while the birds are away during the daytime hours? I'll feel guilty at sundown when they come back and discover that they are homeless. On the other hand what if they decide to build a nest and lay eggs? For now, if you come to our house especially in the evening, don't be alarmed by the sudden flight of birds.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

hey! you have an assignment on my blog!~