29 January 2009

John Hughes Film Festival

Having spent my high school years in the 80's, I was feeling a little nostalgic about some of my favorite movies from that time. While I am often drawn to serious and usually foreign film, sometimes a really fun movie is just what I like.

Well, during the 1980's my favorite fun movies were all made by the same guy. As you may have guessed from the topic, it was John Hughes. In case the name doesn't ring a bell, here are some of his films. Which was your favorite?

Pretty In Pink
The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Some Kind of Wonderful
Ferris Beuler's Day Off
She's Having a Baby
Trains, Planes, & Automobiles
Uncle Buck
Mr. Mom
and many more

My favorite was Some Kind of Wonderful starring Eric Stoltz and Mary Stuart Masterson. It's the classic John Hughes teenage angst theme set against the backdrop of high school and class differences. Also, Pretty in Pink was a great movie but has the most disappointing ending because frankly, who wouldn't have chosen Duckie over Blane?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I grew up on Ferris Buhler's Day Off. I know I was at least a teenager before I realized that the Beetles were actually singing Twist & Shout, not Matthew Broderick.

Us Craven's said...

I LOVE it!!! It brings back so many memories! So does finding you! I am so glad that we can find each other after all these years!! Your family is co cute and you are as fun as ever! I bet our boys would be buddies!

Lilola said...

You're right, Duckie was the obvious best choice... on the other hand, I did not like the pink dress!!