21 January 2009

Snow Days


Snow days in North Carolina are different than the kind I experienced growing up in the midwest. I remember watching the snow falling at night before I went to bed and waking up to snow covered lawns and streets and wondering if school would be cancelled that day. Sometimes it was, but usually it wasn't. If we were lucky, there might be a 2 hour delay. I hated watching the list of school closings scroll down the tv screen in the morning. All the rural school districts were closed, private schools were closed, but not the public city school district. Then you get dressed in layers make sure to put on a hat, scarf, mittens, two pairs of socks, boots and pack your regular shoes for school.

But here in the south, the night before anticipated snow, school is already cancelled. When you wake up in the morning to a light covering of snow you are already sure that you can stay in your pajamas a little longer and get dressed only when you're ready to go outside to play in the rare snow event. Everything is closed and you hope that you have enough milk and bread to last until it all melts.

Monday night the school district decided to close schools based on the prediction of 2-4 inches of snow the next day. When I watched the 11 o'clock news the weather guy was hedging his bets a little by saying that the snow might actually track a little farther east and we'd just have some cold weather. So I went to bed knowing that school was out but not really thinking there would be snow. I woke up to the boys delighted observations that it was snowing and there was snow all over the ground!!! The great thing was that none of us had to go anywhere, school was cancelled and workplaces closed. So we stayed home, got dressed only when we were about to go outside to play, rearranged furniture, had a fire in the fireplace, and didn't go anywhere. Today school is still out because the snow started to melt and then froze again making for icy roads. There is a possibility that there may be a delay tomorrow but I'm a little stir crazy now and I'm hoping everything is back to normal. By this weekend it will be in the mid 50s and sunny, back to normal.

No comments: