05 April 2008

Full Frame Experience

Last night, Dave and I drove over to Durham to watch a film at the Full Frame Festival. It is to documentary film what Sundance is to independent film. My first plan was to see a film called Daughters of Wisdom, about Tibetan nuns in a monastery and their life. It was sold out when I went to get the tickets so instead of leaving with nothing, I made my second choice. I managed to get tickets to At the Death House Door. I have to confess to being mostly in favor of the death penalty, especially in the most heinous crimes where the evidence is solid. This film was so remarkable as to make me rethink my feelings. The experiences of Rev. Carroll Pickett are so touching and life affirming. He talks about his ministry to the prisoners and especially his ministry in the death house. He spent the last hours of their lives with them, helping them face their executions calmly and without fighting. He used to be in favor of the death penalty and now speaks out against it. After viewing the film, the directors and Rev. Pickett and his wife were all available for questions. Questions were what was left in my mind as I left the auditorium. I think that's what I like about documentary film, you get to hear another person's voice. You can learn from their experience and look at an issue from some perspective that isn't your own. And the stories are real and complicated. So next year, I'll buy a pass and see more films and leave with more questions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

fascinating! And I love that they were actually there and available for questions after. I want in next year, too.

Mim said...

Rob really wanted to go to full frame this year. He thinks of it as an all or nothing event, and so he didn't think to get tickets for one show until it was too late.