14 April 2008

Taxing Times

So, tomorrow is April 15, that's right, taxes are due!!! If you haven't already filed it's time to sharpen your pencils or download the software and get busy for an all-nighter. Some of my fondest memories of spending time with my mom include driving to the post office at around 11pm on April 15 and dropping off the tax returns in the big bins attended by weary postal workers. It seemed to be an annual ritual. (Sorry to out you as a tax procrastinator, mom). I always thought it was really fun because it was always past my bedtime and usually on a school night. Newton's third law of physics states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And so, my tax returns are usually filed by the second week in February with any refund direct deposited to my account by the end of that month.

When I was an undergraduate and would do anything for money (within reason) I worked one tax season for H & R Block. I wasn't a tax preparer though. I was the phone answering, errand running, paperwork sorting girl at the front desk of the special office for corporate taxes. It was pretty fun and I got to have someone else file my taxes for free. Except for that year, I've done my own taxes every other year of my adult life. So if you haven't filed your tax returns yet, make sure to take every deduction possible, double check for mistakes, be honest, and if you have a huge refund you might want to rethink your tax withholdings on your W-4. So, for all you tax procrastinators, have a great night, turn on some good music and don't forget the possibility of filing an extension.

1 comment:

Lilola said...

I file electronically now, but still not early. I filed last week, that's not waiting until the VERY last minute, ya know! And I miss the midnights at the post office. If I weren't teaching seminary I might be part of the FairTax rally at the main post office. but it's way too late for me to be up! LOL