17 March 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


It's time for some wearin' o' the green. My nearest Irish ancestor is Patrick Joseph McCormick born March 17, 1825 in county Caven, Ireland. And even though I'm a redhead it doesn't come from that side of the family. Go figure. Several years ago Dave and I took a trip to Ireland. It was right in the middle of graduate school and before we had any children. We came across a company that rented cottages in rural areas and they were cheap so we figured we could go if we found a cheap flight, which we did. We bought an eyewitness guide book, rented a car, learned to drive on the other side of the road and we were off on our adventure. We ate pub food, listened to local musicians at night, explored castle ruins, hiked through ancient oak forests, kissed the Blarney stone, and had the time of our lives. We stayed near Killarney and took day trips from there. Our charming cottage in the mountains turned out to have some fleas already staying there so after two days we moved to a guesthouse in town. So, if ever you have the chance to visit Ireland, I highly recommend the southwest corner and especially County Kerry and the Dingle penninsula. So have a great day. Sláinte!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow...Ireland sounds fun...and (from pictures) it's so beautiful! The first on my European list is London though...I've always wanted to go there!!~