03 March 2008
The Evolution of Sting
Perhaps I'm giving away too much by saying that in high school I was a big fan of the Police, when they were still together and touring and everything. I remember after Synchronicity when they broke up and Sting released his first solo album, Dream of the Blue Turtles. I feel like I've grown into adulthood listening to the music of Sting's solo career. My recent listening includes his album Songs from the Labyrinth . He is singing alone with Edin Karamazov accompanying him on the lute. The songs are those of the Elizabethan composer, John Dowland. Their melancholy sound with Stings untrained tenor voice is a perfect fit. It seems like these ancient tunes have been weaving themselves into his more popular music for all these years. I think that music written 500 years ago never sounded more modern. It doesn't even seem odd that the same guy who wrote a love song to a prostitute named Roxanne could appreciate this style of music, after all he's made a journey through so many other musical genres. So, that's my musical moment for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment