10 March 2008

Chicken Pot Pie

When you have a friend who needs help it's tricky to know the right thing to do. So mostly when I have a friend in need I take one of two things. If I think they just need a little pick-me-up, I take over some flowers or chocolates. It does the trick for me every time. But when there's a bigger problem and you're not sure what to do, the answer is usually take them some dinner. When I was first married and only knew how to cook for one or two people this seemed like a really daunting task. Take dinner to a whole family with kids and everything??? I wondered if it would be alright to just have a pizza delivered. So I had a big learning curve about what you fix a whole big family and more importantly how to transport the dinner without ruining the interior of your car or giving your friend in need one more thing to worry about with returning all your dishes. After the birth of my youngest child, a fabulous woman named Troba, brought me dinner. She has been my inspiration ever since. She brought a turkey pot pie (unbaked so I could cook it when I was ready and so she could bring it when she was ready), a bag of salad, a bottle of dressing and a plate of brownies. It was perfect. So when we lived in Iowa a fabulous woman named Janine had this great chicken pot pie recipe which I modified for convenience. So if you need to take dinner to a friend here's a great recipe(put it in a disposable pie plate so they don't have to return yours). By the way, this is also good just for your own dinner. Feel free to modify it to your taste and circumstance.

Chicken Pot Pie

Pie Crust for 9" deep two-crust pie (I use the refrigerated kind you unroll)
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
3 c. cooked, cubed or shredded chicken (or turkey)
2 c. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place one pie crust in pie pan.
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in milk then broth, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Add chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into the prepared pie crust. Top with second crust, flute and seal the edges. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

For a big family double this and make two. You could take the unbaked pot pie with baking instructions as well.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

this sounds great!! thanks for sharing!~

Mim said...

This sounds yummy! Do you think it would freeze well? I'm always looking for meals that I can make ahead and freeze for later!