06 May 2008

Politics As Usual

When we moved away from Iowa the one thing I knew I wouldn't miss was the caucus frenzy where you can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing someone who wanted to be president. In fact, in January, I felt relieved not to be a part of the big deal. With our primaries not being held until the first week of May, I felt pretty sure that things would already be decided one way or the other. That's where I made my mistake. So for the past week I've been getting calls from my new best friends.




I'm saying that I have heard from them more than from people I actually know. They leave me messages to help me remember what day voting starts and offer their help in finding my polling place. When they don't call me it's a good friend of theirs reminding me about how much they care about me and want me to have a better life. One of their daughters even called this morning telling me how much her mother cared about me and my family. Well, I should feel loved that two such busy people have the time to remember me and interrupt my otherwise meaningless life with their constant phone calls. Instead I feel like a guy who's trying to dump a clingy girl he met at a bar and she won't stop calling. Thank heavens the polls closed at 7:30. Whew!

No comments: