22 May 2008

Tests and Gifted Children

Let me begin by saying that I don't mean to offend or belittle anyone who's children are actually gifted or who aren't.

This week N. has been taking the EOGs. That's the standardized test that really determines if you advance to the next grade level. Forget the past eight months you've been doing homework, classwork, taking tests, etc. it's only the three days this week that really count. At least that's why all the kids in N.'s class have been stressed beyond reason. I don't mind the exams actually I think they are a nice safeguard to catch any children who really haven't managed to grasp what they should have learned all year. That said, probably the teacher should have noticed by this point if a child can't read or do the required math. N. has been just fine. He has done well all year in reading and math so none of us are worried about this. What has been interesting at this point in the year are the conversations with other parents about how "it's all because of the stupid 'No Child Left Behind'" or other rants against the system. I'll save my own feelings for another time. The other process that's been happening in the past couple of months at school is the screening for AG (academically gifted) students. I am the first to admit that my children are really smart kids, after all I'm their mother. I'm not at all sure that they are above average. (Shhhh don't tell them.) It seems that everyone's children are also really smart and the vast majority of parents I know are sure that their kids should be in the AG program. My personal feeling is that for the most part children who end up the the gifted programs are probably coming from homes where the expectations are high and there is a great deal of support at home with regards to education. I also think that most children who are held back usually come from homes where the opposite is true. I'm not convinced that these factors are entirely racial or socio-economic in nature. I attended school in an inner city district with very high poverty rates. I don't remember being in any gifted program but I did well in school and my parents expected it. When I was in high school I took honors and AP courses because my parents expected me to try my very best and to get as much good education as I could. The other kids in those classes had similar parents. We weren't really smarter than anyone else we just had the support of parents who pushed us to do a little more than just "get by". One of the funniest things I've read lately was this. Anyway I won't complain if N. is in the AG program next year and I won't be crying if he isn't. He's a really great kid and he'll probably graduate from high school and get into college anyway.

2 comments:

happytape! said...

isn't that blog the best?! my brother-in-law introduced me to it and it's soo right on! i love it!

no way your kids aren't gifted!!

Lilola said...

and if you want grandma's opinion... your boys are freaking geniuses, just like my two kids! LOL