27 October 2009

Top 20 Movies

I was trying to think if I actually had a definitive list of my top 20 favorite movies. Here's my best effort to make a list. They aren't really in order because I suppose it depends on my mood which one would be at the top. Although Babette's Feast is always very close to number one.

20. Hoosiers
Who doesn't love underdogs and second chances? It's Cinderella for boys.
19. Field of Dreams
When we lived in Iowa I was pretty sure it might be heaven. Also, I'm a huge fan of James Earl Jones.
18. Remains of the Day
Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins are perfectly understated.
17. A Room with a View
The kiss in the barley field is magic. There's nothing like the first kiss.
16. Waking Ned Devine
A great story with some very fine film editing.
15. Shadowlands
Make sure to have a box of tissues handy.
14. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Some of the best martial arts scenes ever, a sad story, and Chow Yun Fat.
13. The Straight Story
Iowa should have won an Oscar for best supporting actor in a motion picture.
12. Sense and Sensibility
Fabulous acting and nice to see Alan Rickman be the good guy in a movie. Also watch for the great use of doorways.
11. Moulin Rouge
I loved using the pop culture of today to tell the story of love set in the pop culture of another time.
10. The Outsiders
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
9. Chariot's of Fire
Saturday morning fun with Sunday morning values. "The Sabbath's not a day for playing football" is the most repeated line in our house.
8. Raise the Red Lantern
When watching notice how the main male character is never actually seen close up.
7. The Princess Bride
A family favorite. It has a little of everything, treachery, sword fighting, giants, revenge, miracles, and true love.
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I've seen this one enough times to recite it.
5. Much Ado About Nothing
Shakespeare's tale is beautifully accessible. Kenneth Brannaugh and Emma Thompson are spectacular in this story of misunderstanding.
4. Glory
A little known civil war story.
3. Out of Africa
Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in their finest work.
2. Henry V
Nice adaptation from play to film.
1. Babette's Feast
Regret, redemption, French cooking and spinsters.

2 comments:

Mim said...

I like your list. The only one I've never seen is Remains of the Day. All the rest are beautiful movies. (I'm sure Remains of the Day is as well)

Lilola said...

Are you sure we're related? Three, maybe three and a half. That's all we have in common!
How did I end up with such a classy daughter; my tastes are so much more mundane! LOL