21 November 2008

Woody Hayes


During the coaching tenure of the great Woody Hayes, the OSU-Michigan game became legendary in college sports. It had always been a big deal inside the Big Ten conference but during the time known as the Ten Year War it was a big deal with National Title and Rose Bowl implications. Bo Schembechler (Michigan's coach) had once played for Woody at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and had been an assistant coach under him at Ohio State. Although these two great coaches had great respect for each other, neither was happy about losing to the other. Woody Hayes' dislike for the state of Michigan is legendary. To this day OSU fans refer to "that school up north" just like Woody. One legendary tale goes like this:
One night on a recruiting trip in the state of Michigan, an assistant noticed that the car he was driving was going to run out of gas. He told Woody, who was dozing in the passenger seat, that he had to pull over for gas. Woody refused, and the assistant drove on. The assistant, who saw the weather was starting to get bad, began to become worried about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, and once again stressed his desire to pull over and get gas. Woody erupted: "No, @#$%&&*^! We do NOT pull in and fill up. And I'll tell you exactly why we don't. It's because I don't buy one @#$%&* drop of gas in the state of Michigan! We'll coast and PUSH this @#$%&* car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!" The assistant knew he wasn't kidding, and they barely made it across the border and sputtered into the first gas station they found in Ohio.

Here's another:
In the 1968 game, already up 42-14, Ohio State scored another touchdown. Woody then called for a two point conversion, which they converted. When asked why he did it, Woody said; "Because the rules won't let you go for three."

It is true that Hayes sometimes bunked his team in Toledo on the night before a game in Ann Arbor so the Buckeyes could sleep on Ohio ground.

Woody Hayes was one of only three non-band members to ever dot the I during script Ohio. Do you know the other two?

1 comment:

Lilola said...

I know, I know! But I found more than 2. One was Bob Hope.

Is there a prize?