Well for every self-respecting Ohio State Football fan this week is like the week before Christmas. It's Michigan Week, the week long celebration leading up to the great rivalry game between the Ohio State University and the University of Michigan football teams. It is a tradition that began in 1897. Since 1935 "the game" has been the final game of the season, often determining who will win the Big Ten championship and go on to the Rose Bowl. The rivalry extends beyond the game during the week and I, myself, have given blood several times to help Ohio State beat Michigan in the annual blood drive that occurs before the game. So I can truly say that I bleed scarlet and gray. In honor of this week, every day I'll try to blog a little bit of the tradition.
Today I'd like to share one of my favorite things, Script Ohio. The band marches to form the word Ohio and one lucky sousaphone player gets to dot the I. It's an honor that is almost never given to a non-band member. One Saturday morning I took N. early to get a haircut at Howard's on Lane Ave. and the guy in the next chair was getting the royal treatment from everyone there. He was the guy who would be dotting the I that day. It was fun to share in part of his once in a lifetime day.
You can see Script Ohio with a nice interview of the guy dotting the I before the Michigan game two years ago.
Here's Script Ohio in it's entirety and without Brent Musburger
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have to admit, that is pretty cool. Ohio seems like it has more traditions for football than State does. :)
Post a Comment