The Ohio State University has a great alma mater and it is also the oldest song still used by the university. In 1902, Ohio State played Michigan in Ann Arbor and lost the game 86-0. Fred Cornell, who attended the game, was a member of the Ohio State University Glee Club and a four letter athlete. On the train ride home he began to compose a song for Ohio State, by writing phrases on the back of an envelope. Inspired by the loss and hearing the Wolverine crowd sing The Yellow and Blue, Cornell proceeded to pen the hymn. Carmen Ohio was first performed by The Ohio State University Glee Club soon thereafter, in 1903. Carmen Ohio gained in popularity after it was first published in The Lantern on October 10, 1906 and appearing in the Ohio State-Michigan game program on October 20, 1906.
When I first started graduate school at OSU, I would often leave my office around 4pm when the marching band was practicing. One day as I left the building after a particularly difficult day I heard the band playing Carmen Ohio. It made me feel better and by the time I got home the day didn't seem so awful.
Here's Carmen Ohio this season before the game.
Carmen Ohio is now sung by the football team and any remaining fans in the stadium after every home game and on the opponents field when we win there.
For any readers who are also members of my church you will now know why hymn no. 58 is one of my very favorites. Although I do think it should be sung with more reverence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Exultantly is sort of like exuberantly isn't it? LOL
Post a Comment