26 September 2008

Popcorn Popping

Did you know that you could make your own microwave popcorn?? I didn't. I read about it this week and decided to give it a try. Here's what you need, popcorn, a regular brown paper lunch bag, and two staples. You may also add the butter and salt afterwards. Anyway, you put about 1/4 or 1/3 c. of popcorn in the bag, fold down the top two times about 1/2 inch fold, then staple the bag shut with two (not one, not three, but two) regular staples. No, the staples will not catch fire in your microwave. You put the bag of popcorn kernels in the microwave and heat it for about 2 1/2 minutes. So easy and much cheaper than the microwave popcorn at the grocery store. Apparently the size of the regular staple is smaller than the wavelength of the microwave waves so they are "microwave invisible" that's why they don't catch fire. You could experiment with putting salt and flavorings in the bag with the popcorn if you wanted something different. So have some popcorn this weekend. That's my money saving tip of the day.

1 comment:

Taliatha said...

I'm just cheap enough to have tried this before, but using scotch tape instead of staples. My only bad experience was when I took the cheapness a step too far and tried reusing the brown bag to make more popcorn. There was some smoke involved and the bag was partially blackened.