15 August 2008

Olympic Fever

Although I considered a boycott of the olympics due to concerns about human rights violations, I gave in and have been watching the games a little every day. I realized that my television turned off would have no lasting effect on any public policy anywhere so what was really the point.

So last Saturday the boys and I were watching some of the games and the first thing that caught their attention was the women's fencing. I. said that he wanted to do that because he's "good about weapons and stuff". He was really excited to learn that they had shooting in the olympics. Did I mention that he wants to grow up to work in a submarine and be in charge of the torpedo launching? N. took a particular interest in the women's beach volleyball which I'm hoping was more because of their skill than their bikini clad participants. Both boys have become big fans of Michael Phelps, of course, but I am a bigger fan of Dara Torres. Who can resist being a fan of a 41 year old mom who can swim faster than 99% of the world. Also I've been following the rowing events online since they aren't usually televised.

My favorite "Olympic moment" so far was the mens 4 x 100 relay. Go teamwork. Also, way to go Cullen Jones, a local swimmer. Is anyone else a tv junkie during the Olympics?

2 comments:

Lilola said...

I love the gymnastics... and since I saw Mark Spitz win the 7 gold medals in 1972 (not before you were born but almost) I have been watching Michael Phelps. Not a junkie, but the occasional viewer.

Christine said...

Uh, Scott and I are total Olympic junkies! Swimming, gymnastics, track and field, volleyball, basketball....we watch it all!