21 July 2008

Singing Out Loud, Yikes

Here's a funny thing that happened this morning. So I'm just on the treadmill at the gym going about my morning, when suddenly I'm startled by what sounds like someone moaning in terrible pain. I look around to see who has fallen or is having a heart attack. No one seems to be in any kind of distress, but I notice that other people are looking around sort of perplexed. The moaning is still going on, when I realize that it's the woman about 50 ft away on a different treadmill. She's not in any obvious trouble, just wearing her iPod and singing (I'm using that term loosely) out loud. Does she realize that she's the only one who hears the actual music? Does she realize that she's not just humming under her breath? She finally stops to the relief of everyone in the gym.
Technology is great and all and how did people manage to run before Nike teamed up with Apple? But don't people realize that technology comes with certain responsibilities? Here are some rules that I think should be put into law.
1. Don't sing out loud with your iPod.
2. No text messages in church. (or during class at school)
3. Don't take a phone call in church. (in fact leave it at home unless you're a physician on call)
4. Be aware that if you're having a conversation on your ear gargoyle of a phone that people might think that you are either talking to them or are crazy.
5. Don't text while you're having a conversation with someone standing in front of you.
6. Turn off all sounds on your cell phone during church, court, school, and the movies.

Anyway, if you decide to sing along with your iPod in public just be ready for the stares and don't take offense.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really funny.
I second your rules.

Lilola said...

I don't even have an iPod... and i know you were thinking about me when she was moaning/singing! LOL

All of your rules are excellent, by the way. Good job!

Ashley said...

I agree with all of the above. The one that still freaks me out is the hands-free phone. No matter what, and no matter how long those things are out, they're still going to look like they're talking to themselves.~

Ashley said...

I left you an assignment on my blog..have fun!!~