12 May 2009

My Newest Time Wasting Vice.

So the other day I was asking a friend about a place we hiked together because I couldn't remember exactly the location. I do like to know where I've been. Anyway my friend offered to send me a file using Google Earth with the trail outlined for me. Having never used Google Earth before I went right to the old internet, found the program and downloaded it. Well, I have to say that I'm reminded of a Dr. Seuss title, "Oh the Places You'll Go". This afternoon I took a break from online browsing for a lighter weight tent, to looking at the places we plan to hike this summer. Then I realized that I could look anywhere in the world. So I moved around the globe to France and visited each city where I lived when I was a young missionary. It was really amazing. I saw the topography and the images of places I haven't seen in a long time and I remembered all the narrow stone streets I'd walked and the beautiful landscape I'd seen out the train window. I suppose it would be easy to spend hours looking at the world in images. So, I'll have to remember to stay on task when I have computer errands to do. As if facebook isn't a big enough drain on my time, now this.

1 comment:

Rob said...

The other day, I used google maps "street view" to virtually walk my old "mission beat." It was fun to walk the old streets in Perth, Australia and see how drastically everything has changed since I was there.