18 April 2009

Hiking Adventures

We had a beautiful, sunny, 80 degree spring day, so we couldn't stay inside the all day. So we(my husband, kids, and I) went for a nice hike at one of our favorite local spots. Everyone had a great time and I hope that my boys are learning to love the outdoors. Then I was thinking about all the great places I have hiked in my life and thought I'd write about them this evening. Here are a few of my favorites in no particular order.

#1 Glen Helen Nature Preserve, Yellow Springs, Ohio.

I grew up not far from here and hiked it very often. I think it's especially beautiful in the fall but it's beautiful all year. Here's a great description. If you're ever in Ohio this is a great place to unwind. After a nice hike head over to Ha-Ha pizza in town.


#2 Hocking Hills State Park, Logan, Ohio.

This was my favorite place to hike in the great state of Ohio. The park is divided into separate smaller areas but are all connected by hiking trails. You have the option of seeing the whole park in one very long hike or you could use your car and drive from place to place. One of the most beautiful places in the state park is called Ash Cave. It's worth the hike.

#3 Diamond Fork Canyon, near Spanish Fork, Utah.

This was my favorite hike when I attended BYU. It wasn't too far to drive to the trailhead and the reward for your hike was a nice soak in the hot pots. I hiked here after a really bad jet ski accident and first realized that I couldn't feel the difference in temperature on my right leg anymore. There's a fun fact for you. A word of caution, this isn't a great hike for you if you are easily offended by nude bathers.

#4 White Cloud Mountains, near Challis, Idaho.

Just after I returned home from France, I met up with a couple of friends from the mission and we backpacked into this area together. It was really one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. One night I remember being camped near a lake and the water was so clear that the stars reflected on it and it seemed like the universe suddenly extended to the bottom of the lake. I'm not sure I could find the exact trail again on my own but one day I might get back there.

And here are the places we plan to hike this year.

#1 Appalachian Trail, North Carolina.

How can you live near the AT and not hike some of it?

#2 Chimney Rock State Park, North Carolina.

If you don't live near this park and don't think you'll ever visit, just watch The Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis and soak in the views. It was mostly filmed in and around Chimney Rock State Park.

1 comment:

Christine said...

When I was a kid we hiked every weekend after church with my family. When we lived in Asheville, we always had someplace new to go and hike. Chimney Rock was definitely an awesome place to go!